Hi, I’m Drew McManus. The Orchestra Insider.
“I hear that every time you show up to work with an orchestra, people get fired.”
Those were the first words out of an executive’s mouth after her board chair introduced us. That executive is now a dear colleague and friend but the day that consulting contract began with her orchestra, she was convinced I was a hatchet-man brought in by the board to clean house.
I understand where the trepidation comes from as a great deal of my consulting and technology provider work for arts organizations involves due diligence, separating fact from fiction, interpreting spin, as well as performance review and oversight. So yes, sometimes that work results in one or two individuals “aggressively embracing career change” but far more often than not, it reinforces and clarifies exactly what works and why.
In short, it doesn’t matter if you know where all the bodies are buried if you can’t keep your own clients out of the ground, and I’m fortunate enough to say that for 20 years, I’ve done exactly that for groups of all budget size from Qatar to Kathmandu.
For fun, I write a daily blog about the orchestra business, provide a platform for arts insiders to speak their mind, manage a site for arts managers to sharpen their skills, keep track of what people in this business get paid, help write a satirical cartoon about orchestra life, and love a good coffee drink.
Services For Artists & Entrepreneurs
Some of the most common services include:
- Negotiating performance, recording, and/or employment contracts.
- Website design and maintenance.
- Creating an effective branding, public relations, and social networking campaign.
- Career counsel.
- Crafting a business plan.
- Entrepreneurship mentoring.
- Learning the proper way to establish a professional private teaching studio, attract students, and develop a related business policy.
- Learning about the legal and financial realities of being self-employed.
- Negotiating overscale (direct negotiation services and/or negotiation preparation).
Services For Boards and Trustees
- Strategic planning
- Board development
- Executive search
- Executive evaluation & review
- Labor mediation
- Negotiation counsel
- Board recruitment
- Committee organization
Services for Managers and Administrators
- Learning to lead from the front
- Administrative capacity audit
- Risk return analysis
- Labor relations
- Web/ticketing/CRM design and analysis
- Improving marketing performance
- Avoiding arbitration
- Maximizing workplace satisfaction
The Venture Platform
- Design and development
- Incredible support
- Unlimited training
- Power and ease of use
- Supreme quality and value
Counting The Costs
As an artist in need of overscale counsel or an employer interested in establishing competitive but fair compensation, put Mr. McManus; knowledge to work for you.